The servant leadership discussion group was really neat. Here are some of the notes that I jotted down: (Servant Leadership hereafter abbreviated as SL)
– Applicable for all ages
– SL emphasizes acceptance of others
– SL has not caught on completely because it is seen as soft
– Starbucks practices SL
– Love regardless
– Develop your character ethic
– Only about 10% of leaders are equipped for their position
– Reflection is key for character development
– Create dangerously
– Community must be instilled as top priority
– Age does not have to restrict SL abilities; yes, people might be threatened by your innovation so begin a quiet revolution, eventually you will be heard
– Start with what you can influence/change
– Everything begins with the initiative of an individual – initiate, provide ideas & structure, take the risk of failure along with the chance of success
Overall, a great meeting. I walked away encouraged at the possibilities for servant leadership. The conversation never focused on Jesus or Scripture which I found interesting. One gentleman there is a retired Congressman (14 years of service) and he contributed a lot to the discussions. I was reminded again and again that my age does not restrict me from leadership influence. I restrict myself from leadership influence. Many of the people there encouraged me to take the risk of being a servant leader because it will be worth it.
Turns out the group meets every other month. In March, they will be discussion 7 Habits of Highly Effective People, by Stephen Covey. I’ll definitely be there.